One of the many benefits of being an iSucceed Virtual High School student is that you get to work from the comfort of your home.
For many of you who come from a more traditional school setting, this may be something you’ve never done before. While we have many full-time onsite instructors, many of our teachers work from home just like our students.
We asked a few of our work from home instructors a few questions about working from home, and here’s what they had to say.
Benefits of earning your high school diploma from home
From saving gas to having more control of your schedule, attending high school online has its advantages.
One benefit is you don’t have sit in one place! As long as you have an internet connection, you really can work wherever you want.
“I enjoy the freedom of using my laptop and working in the living room if my family is in there, working outside while my children are playing, and even working from places that have free Wi-Fi,” said Mrs. Mortimer.
Another benefit: more flexibility. Because you work online, you can focus on getting your work done and have more time to do the things you love.
Your Workspace: Organization Ideas
While you can complete schoolwork wherever you want, our teachers say a designated workspace is always a good idea. It helps your brain stay focused and helps you block out distractions.
Where you work matters. You want to be in a comfortable environment where you’re not distracted. Whatever that is for you, try to incorporate it.
For Mrs. Holly Mortimer, it’s important that she is by a window.
My office is on the corner of my house, and it has two big windows that look out on the neighborhood, so I feel connected to the outdoors and the outside world even when I’m inside on the computer.
The other important pieces of her space are two big monitors for a large work area. And, of course, her
furry friend. 🙂
Mr. Joe Rollins takes a similar approach to his workspace. A place to see outside, and lots of monitors!
And his favorite part of working from home:
“I can stop and have a cup of tea and pet my dog whenever I need a break!”
Five Tips to Succeed in Your Online school Work
1. “if you want to get better at something, you need to work on it every day. I recommend that students do at least a little bit of coursework every day, so they don’t get overwhelmed by seeing lots of overdue work. Even just logging in to check your email is better than leaving the laptop closed.” – Mrs. Mortimer
2. “Be honest with yourself about setting up specific times to work. If you are NOT a morning person, then don’t expect to work online in the mornings. Be real and be disciplined!” – Mrs. Mortimer
3. “Talk to your friends and family about how they can support you. If you work on schoolwork from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. each day, tell your friends not to text or call during this time.” – Mr. Rollins
4. “Set goals and work hard to achieve them – then allow yourself time to do fun things!” Mr. Rollins
5. “Because of iSucceed Virtual High School, you can now focus on your interests and create the life that you see yourself having! Don’t waste any time! Make your education and dreams happen for yourself!!” – Mrs. Mortimer